Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Atheist Group Files Suit Against Prayer at 2009 Presidential Inauguration


Twenty eight member of the group Freedom From Religion, have joined forces with Michael Newdow(that wacky atheist who tried to have the words "under god" removed from the Pledge of Allegiance), in a lawsuit to remove the words "so help me God" from the Presidential oath of office.

"We're hoping to stop prayer and religious rituals at governmental functions, especially at the inauguration," Barker told FOX News.

Reverends Rick Warren and Joe Lowrey, who will be participating in the inauguration ceremony have been named defendants in the suit. "Those people who do pray do believe in God and they are in fact trying to use the government to pick sides. In America we are free to disagree. We can disagree with Rev. Rick Warren but we're not free to ask our government to settle the argument," Barker said, adding that government causes harm when it takes on "the mantel of religion and expresses religion as an official governmental function.

Peter Sprigg, vice president for policy at the Family Research Council, said it's Obama's decision whether to include a prayer, not the government's. Sprigg also told Fox News that ""These atheists who are suing to prevent prayer at the inauguration are showing a fundamental misunderstanding of what the First Amendment is all about. The establishment of religion that is forbidden by the First Amendment means the official declaration of an official national church. It doesn't mean that public ceremonies can not include prayers or acknowledgement of the existence of God,"

Sprigg and I agree that this lawsuit will probably go nowhere. Seriously Atheists. Freedom of religion means that we can not be persecuted for believing what we wish to believe, or not believe. It does not make God a dirty word. If the word God is hated so much by Atheists, I think they should do the noble thing and start boycotting U.S currency. After all, that nasty little evil word is printed on it. Come on Atheists, put your money where your mouth is. Literally.

I'm fine with you not believing in God, its whatever floats your boat. But it's about time that atheists stop trying to bully the rest of the population out of their rights to say the word God.

4 comments:

  1. Valerie,

    This is off topic, but I noticed in your profile, you live in Pottsville PA. Are you familiar with The Ekklektic Universal Church, and it's leader, David Staller. If so, what can you tell me about them/him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. William,
    I've heard of them but I don't really know much about them and I have never personally met Dave Staller but I have heard of him and have seen him. He claims to be an American Indian shaman, I say claims because he looks as white as the next white guy. lol.

    If you ask me the whole thing seems to a bit like scientology with different "levels" of spirituality and really magical thinking. They believe in magick and voodoo and a butt load of other things. Basically, I think what Mr. Staller tried to do is wrap all major religions into one and try and make money off of it.

    I can tell you that the city we live in is small and this church has gained absolutely no traction around here. It was founded 15 years ago and I'm pretty certain that a majority of the people around here have never heard of it.

    It is my personal opinion, that Mr. Staller is a whack job and his church is just a scheme. But that is only my opinion really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Valerie, I appreciate your reply.

    I check on you blog just about everyday now; so keep on blogging!

    Regards,
    Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. Make that, "your blog" not you blog. Geesh! hahaha

    Will

    ReplyDelete