Saturday, February 28, 2009

Romney Wins CPAC Straw Poll For 2012 Race


At the annual CPAC convention this weekend, an event which host conservatives from all over the nation in Washington DC, the annual straw poll of which Republican would garnish the most support in the next presidential election foudn Mitt Romney to be the winner with 20 percent of the vote.

Following Romney was Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal with 14 percent, Texas Rep. Ron Paul with 13 percent, Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin with 10 percent, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich with 10 percent and former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee with 7 percent. Others on the ballot included South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty and Florida Gov. Charlie Crist.

I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by these results. I was always a fan of Romney. I do like Sarah Palin but even I have my doubts if she will be able to effectively convince the unconvinced that she can do the job.

I think these results also illustrate that the Republican party may be stepping back a bit from the personal and social issues of the country and taking a stand on the more economic issues facing us. That is something that I am thrilled about.

No comments:

Post a Comment